Before you book...
Travel Age West Magazine - Article. Oct 4, 2017:
"Waiheke Island is the epitome of paradise. Located a short 35-minute ferry ride from the coast of Auckland, it’s a must-visit stop for every traveler to New Zealand. Food and wine enthusiasts can enjoy full days of tastings at the lush vineyards and olive tree groves scattered throughout the island. Outdoor adventurers have the choice of watersports and fishing at the white-sand beaches or hiking and ziplining through the island’s rolling hills. Yet the most enjoyable part of my trip to New Zealand was staying at the Waiheke Island Guesthouse.
The owners, Grant and Nat, are a friendly Australian couple with immense knowledge of the island. With the goal of sharing their love of Waiheke, they welcome guests year-round to rent a room in their guesthouse and experience the laid-back island lifestyle.
"We love that this is a simple place of unpretentious beauty,” Nat told me. “It’s so peaceful and close to nature.”
On a typical morning, guests can partake in a number of activities, from feeding the couple’s three roaming alpacas to taking a yoga class led by Nat. A breakfast of muesli and fresh fruit is included in the stay and can be enjoyed in the communal kitchen or on the terrace. Guests will also find a bowl of fresh eggs — sourced from the couple’s chickens — that can be cooked and snacked on at any time of the day.
Though each room has a television with Apple TV and Netflix access, guests will likely prefer lounging in the outdoor hammock or taking a dip in the spa pool. Nat also offers guided luxury van tours of the island that can be customized to fit each guest’s needs.
During our tour, my family and I visited a several incredible wineries, savoured a picnic on the grass, tasted olive oils at a grove and finished the day with a waterfall hike. And, of course, the alpacas and Nat and Grant’s adorable dog, Shanti, were waiting eagerly on their driveway for our return."
Please read carefully:
Waiheke Island Guesthouse is designed and run to promote a friendly travel experience with opportunities to mix with others. By booking a room here, guests accept that they will be kind and respectful. Good vibes and positivism are always very welcome. We want guests to have fun and leave feeling rested. The hostel vibe but with hotel comfort.
We take pride in offering guests a simple place of unpretentious beauty at some of the cheapest rates on Waiheke. The guesthouse is social but peaceful. Guests who want to party hard, are asked do so elsewhere. Our main priority is to help guests experience the 'real Waiheke'. Our room features vary so read the descriptions carefully and choose the right room for you. Even though we go to lengths to make our rooms amazing, there is much more on offer in the shared spaces.
All guests have access to; guest kitchen, guest lounge areas, huge deck, outdoor breakfast bar, huge lawn with lots of seating, hammock/outdoor beanbags, spa pool, free parking, free breakfast, lawn games, board games, free snorkel gear, free fibre optic wifi, free chicken eggs (when they're laying) and free alpaca feeding. We try to prioritise the things that we value ourselves - such as kindness. Tell us what interests you. If we happen to be going out, we usually ask guests if they need a lift in our direction.
NEW! We now offer luxury van tours of the island. Plan your tour with Nat. Tripadvisor reviews of our daily tours have been excellent. Leave right from the guesthouse via www.waitikitours.com Book now to receive your free ferry transfers!
We understand that some folks are looking for 5 star luxury. That experience is available at a very different price. Customers who value luxury over eco-principles may be better suited to our competitors. Choose us if you're looking for an authentic Waiheke experience...and want to truly understand the island you're visiting.
Please note: Waiheke is mostly hills. We have both internal and external steps, so a normal level of mobility and care is needed to access your room. Our parking is free but some drivers prefer roadside parking. If in doubt - talk to us first. Parking requires drivers to be confident with their cars. Roadside parking is available for all other drivers.
Activities and free stuff:
- Feed the alpacas!...and the dog that thinks she is one...
- Breakfast - healthy and home made
- Join us for a free yoga class each morning
- Spa pool
- 20-30 minute consultation about the island and how best to explore it
- Swing on the hammock for an hour or ten
- Walk to nearby wineries: Obsidian, Casita Miro, Te Motu, Stonyridge, Wild on Waiheke
- Explore our grounds with numerous outdoor settings
- Access the ponga forest which is home to kiwi, kereru, morepork, kingfishers, tui, fantails and more...
- Guests are invited to harvest from our fruit and vege patches
- Think you have a happy relationship? Try our board games and let's see
- Beach gear including; towels, beach games
- Apple TV, Netflix, newspapers and dvds in some rooms
- Experience our Qi machine - it's like 2 hours of meditation squeezed into 5 minutes
- An excellent library and plenty of quiet nooks to read from
- Enjoy the swings and mini football pitch/goal
- Tease the Aussie girl about the latest Wallabies disaster
- Self cater in the guest kitchen...try our chickens eggs...
- Listen to the native birds all day and star gaze all evening - both are spectacular!
- Enjoy the bush views from our large, sunny deck
- Stroll down to the wetlands bush-walk and dog park at the bottom of the street
- Walk to Palm or Onetangi Beach for a swim and climb up to the lookout(s)
- Walk to the Saturday morning markets or go to Charie Farleys for their live music Thursday
- Chat with your hosts - we love hearing travel stories
It makes us happy to see people enjoy the island. Enquire about any additional service you might need and we'll let you know what it costs or refer you to someone who can help. We specialise in helping to make anniversaries even more special. Surprise your partner with one of our Anniversary Packages - available by prior arrangement.